Been thinking of what's going on in Madison, WI and come to a crossroads.
Got hit with info that tells me the local criminal justice system is messed up for sure. The problem for me at the beginning of writing this was what to focus on and how to get more focus put on this. (This is a trend for at least fifteen years)
Started by trying to get an idea of how I can go after this problem I see in front of me, but got stressed by worries that this is not my fight to take on.
Realized, when I read reports about Madison and Dane County's terrible racial disparities on arrests and imprisonment, that for some reason I was, like the largely white student populace of the campus, unaware and didn't discuss the possibility of racial discrimination in the C.J. system.
Recognized only after talking with someone else that this is at least part due to my class, as I have the ability to live in the campus area, where there is honestly little policing.
Went on Class Matters, a working-class activism organizing site, and it hit me: I've had the wrong focus entirely. Perhaps having a problem that doesn't affect oneself as much as it does someone else means that more affected person should be asked about it first...hmmm...
For years, the political process of talking over people has seemed like the right way to push positive change. Elect the right person, organize a rally, etc. This is just one small instance, but I feel like I could stand to learn a bit more about how I can help empower others instead of oneself.
One of my fav blogs: Racialicious! They talk race and popular media. I don't always agree, but they have good, passionate writers and are mighty timely.
2010/01/11
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment