2010/11/11

Post- NASCO Institute 2010

Hello Beautiful People,

It was so great meeting each and everyone one of you. I can tell that you all have very dynamic leadership abilities that can enable NASCO to truly become an inclusive organization it was made to be, as outlined in its "Cooperative Values and Principles." All of this work, however, begins in our own co-op organizations that we belong to, for our own personal sake. We all have the right to a safe space and feeling of inclusivity within our co-op residences, but unfortunately that will not simply be handed to us. We are going to have to demand it in one form or another. Like Colin Bowden (current PoCC-Co Chair) mentioned to me: we have to educate through love.

To re-cap our amazing discussion, some of the trends and key issues we have noticed in our own co-ops are:
-tokenism
-appropriation of social justice terminology/jargon
-cultural appropriation
-covert AND overt racism, even from "allies"
-ignorant rhetoric
-feeling uncomfortable or unwelcome to join the "hippie" culture present in most co-ops

Some goals and/or projects we have brainstormed for the upcoming year:
-drafting local plans for inclusions in the co-op organizations we are a part of
-improving education and analysis on the climate of our co-ops
-recruitment AND retention of other PoC (people of color) to join our co-ops
-institutionally supporting each other, SOLIDARITY!
-more publicity for future NASCO Institute PoC Caucuses

This was only the beginning discussion of a very complicated and pervasive issue that cannot be ignored. Thanks to our predecessors in the PoC Caucus, we are slowly growing but we have potential to step up our game. And I feel confident to assume that we all are here for each other and in solidarity with one another's efforts.

Here are some additional items I have thought about to further discuss:
-How can I personally contribute to open up dialogue at my own co-op?
-What resources do I have available at my co-op that others may find useful?
-How can I reach out to other PoC at my co-op or other regional co-ops to further networking capabilities and solidarity efforts?
-What are some effective recruitment and retention efforts?
-How can I make use of white allies? How can I help develop and identify more allies?
-What are the clear issues at my co-op that directly affect my right to a feeling of inclusivity?

I hope you all take advantage of this forum to continue our discussion and help each other brainstorm on ideas to improve racial/ethnic inclusivity in NASCO and especially in our own co-ops. This is your space, so please post new discussion items or contribute through the comments section. Colin and I are here to keep the discussion alive, but we do not want to dominate it.

Much Love,

Stephanie
NASCO People of Color Caucus-Chair 2010-2012



No comments:

Post a Comment